The moonwalk is a dance step made famous by Michael Jackson. It involves lifting one leg and sliding forward, then lifting the other leg and sliding backward, moving sideways to the music. Moonwalking has become popular in streetwear, where it is often performed as part of a dance routine or choreographed dance number.
These shoes are designed with a canvas upper and vulcanized rubber sole. They are lightweight, comfortable, and have excellent traction on hard surfaces like concrete or asphalt. They also have extra padding on the tongue to prevent chafing on the ankle when performing movements such as moonwalking. They are extremely comfortable and versatile, so they can be worn with anything from jeans to joggers to sweatpants.
They come in many different colors, so you can choose the ones that best fit your wardrobe. They also have side vents for breathability and ventilation, so your feet don’t sweat too much when you’re doing complicated moves like moonwalking.
Finding the best shoes for moonwalking is difficult when you want a high-quality shoe that doesn’t cost a fortune. Wearing ordinary shoes while moonwalking can lead to serious injuries if they don’t have certain moonwalking features, such as a stiff, flat sole, a secure fit, and optimal comfort.
Also Read: Best Shoes For Bikepacking
Best Shoes for Moonwalking
After spending over 35 hours researching the most practical moonwalking shoes on industry forums and sifting through hundreds of user reviews, I’ve compiled a short list of the most comfortable and special moonwalking shoes. I’ve written detailed, unbiased reviews of each pair of shoes, with their pros and cons, based on testing and customer experience.
So, without further ado, let’s dive in and discuss the reviews of the best shoes for the famous moonwalking on the dance floor and outdoors.
Best Shoes for Moonwalking | Comparison Table 2022
Top Quality | 5- Star Picks | Great Prices
|UMYOGO Mens Athletic Walking Blade Running Tennis Shoes Fashion Sneakers (11 M US, 1-Black)||UMYOGO||Check Price|
|Skechers Men's GO Walk Evolution Ultra-Impeccable Sneaker, Black, 10||Skechers||Check Price|
|adidas Women's Cloud foam Pure Running Shoe, white/white/black, 8 Medium US||adidas||Check Price|
|New Balance Women's FuelCore Nergize Sport V1 Sneaker, White/Black, 8 M US||New Balance||Check Price|
|KEEN Women’s Terradora 2 Waterproof Low Height Hiking Shoe, Drizzle/African Violet, 12 M (Medium) US||KEEN||Check Price|
|Ryka Women's Sky Fit Walking Shoe, Brilliant White, 9||Ryka||Check Price|
|PUMA Men's Triple Basketball Shoe, High Risk Red Black, 11||PUMA||Check Price|
|Nike Air Max 2017 Mens Running Shoes (9 D(M) US), Cool Grey/Anthracite-dark Grey||Nike||Check Price|
|New Balance Men's 608 V5 Casual Comfort Cross Trainer, White/Navy, 11 M US||New Balance||Check Price|
Best Shoes for Moonwalking | Reviews 2022
Also Read: Best Shoes For Exercise
Also Read: Best Shoes For Deadlift
Also Read: Best Low Cut Hiking Shoes for Roofing
How To Choose Best Shoes for Moonwalking | Ultimate Guide 2022
Features of the best moonwalking shoes
Here is the list of features I considered when evaluating the best moonwalking shoes.
The sole of the moonwalking shoes should be flat and low to provide stability and allow you to stand on your toes without falling. In addition, the friction of the shoes should be low so that you can glide smoothly across the floor during a true moonwalk.
The sole of the shoe should be stiff enough to give the illusion of floating during the moonwalk. Skating shoes that are as soft as rubber would stick to the ground and not allow you to change positions while moonwalking.
The tongue of the moonwalking shoe should be fully padded, soft, and flexible, especially if you are a beginner or amateur. When you change positions to stand on your toes, the shoes bend and the tongue of the shoes can irritate your foot if it is not padded.
Also Read: Best Shoes For Badminton
What are the easiest steps to moonwalk?
Here are the steps to follow to moonwalk as a beginner.
- Stand straight with your feet together. In this position, you will look like an ice skater. This is the hardest part of the whole process; if you were born with the reflexes of a drunken sloth, you can still discover your inner moonwalker by trying for a few minutes. If you can’t stand with your feet together, don’t worry: no one is judging you. Your legs aren’t used to walking the way you want, so you’ll have to make an effort.
- Plant your feet as firmly as possible and assume a rigid stance, spreading your arms out in front of you. If you put your hands on your hips, your posture will be more or less correct. After all, this is how most people walk!
- When your left foot finishes turning and you want to return to your right foot, smoothly transfer your weight from your left leg that is straight out in front of you to your right leg. The easiest way to do this, without falling or looking silly, is to kneel on the side you just transferred your weight too. From there, jump back up, bringing your other leg a little outside of your hip before transferring all your weight onto it, so it can become the next step.
- Once you feel comfortable taking regular moonwalking steps, it’s time to start moving more. Now that you’ve found a good rhythm, pay attention to how your body moves with the music. If you run your hands all over the place, you’ll mess up the rhythm.
- When practicing the moonwalk, try to keep your eyes on the direction you are going. If you look too far away, your movement will start to slow down. Keep a straight line between your head and the ground, then move up. (You can also try to exaggerate the feeling of floating by looking at things far away as you do different types of movements.
- People inevitably associate moonwalking with Michael Jackson and sometimes react with surprised comments when they see it. Remember: don’t give up, keep trying.
- If you are a beginner, start on soft surfaces and wear socks.
- Good balance is necessary to moonwalk. Practice balance exercises. When you have a good balance, it is much easier to moonwalk.
Also Read: Best Skate Shoes For Skateboarding & Walking
Do I need special shoes to walk on the moon?
It is necessary to practice moonwalking on smooth ground, wearing socks or shoes with very smooth soles and comfortable clothes.
Can you moonwalk in any shoe?
Although you can moonwalk in anything, even hiking boots, it is advisable for beginners to have as little grip as possible. Wearing socks will make it much easier to practice your moves and glide across the floor. When you become a pro, you will be able to master this move even in sneakers!
How do I make my moonwalk shoes slippery?
- Use hairspray. Spray the sole with hairspray.
- Traction spray. Traction spray is easy to apply and is not permanent.
- Grip pad. A grip pad is another temporary solution, which means you can wear it when you’re not dancing and take it off when you get on the dance floor.
Is it difficult to learn the moonwalk?
It’s not difficult at all. All you need to remember is that you will have one leg straight and rigid and one leg bent all the time. One will be straight, the other bent all the time. Enjoy this video tutorial to learn the moonwalk and good luck!
Also Read: Best Nike Running Shoes For Women
This guide features a wide range of the best moonwalking shoes. If you already own a pair of moonwalking shoes or have just purchased them, please share your experience by leaving a review in the comments section.
Hi, I am Brian, Lives in Mooresville, North Carolina, and Went to The University of Texas at Austin, I am a shoe lover & know the inside out of shoes. I am well aware of the qualities of top-quality boots. That’s what I’m sharing with the reader of About Shoes/boots/footwear. Read More Here